With more and more people turning to fruits and vegetables over eating meat, food dehydrators are a great way to switch up the way to eat fruits and vegetables differently. Food dehydrators have come a long way and make life very easy. For the majority of them, all that is needed is to prep the food, put them on the trays, set the timer and forget it. They are at the point now where they are similar to crockpots or slow cookers.
Gourmia is a company located in Brooklyn, New York and has been in the business of making small kitchen appliances for decades. They live by engineering cooking tools for a healthy lifestyle. All of the company’s products are designed for home cooks (whether you are good or not) who want to make easy, healthy and delicious snacks every week, not only on special occasions and holidays. Gourmia’s food dehydrators deliver a higher standard of innovation, performance, and value. Their products bring professional-chef techniques to every home kitchen, making healthy gourmet nibbles easier to achieve. A few other items that Gourmia sell are:
- Air Fryer Toaster Ovens
- Sous Vides
- Coffee Machines
One of Gourmias’ most popular items is the Digital Stainless Steel Digital Air Fryer but this is a conversation for another day, at another site. For more information on the fryer, click HERE!
The Gourmia GFD950 Digital Food Dehydrator is dependable and offers an alternate solution to eating better, fresher, and healthier without spending hours in the kitchen prepping, cooking and then cleaning up. You can create many delicious foods including:
- Trail Nut Mixes
- Fruit Rolls
The Benefits of owning this dehydrator
1. One of the biggest benefits is the ease of use of the product. The heat control on the front of the dehydrator is usable, very easy to understand and read. It is a incredibly quiet dehydrator which is easy to clean because all the trays are dishwasher safe.
2. The quality and size of this food dehydrator allows for a large amount of food to be dried at the one time. This dehydrator in particular is very popular, it has a 4.4 out of 5-star rating from over 450 reviews on Amazon.
3. You don’t have to worry about buying store-bought processed junk anymore. With this item, you can make a more flavorful, nutrient-dense, preservative/additive-free, and much cheaper alternative to commercial products.
The major features
1. 9 Trays:
• There are nine removable, non-stick trays provide plenty of room to dry anything from sweet pineapple slices to beef jerky. Included with every purchase of the dehydrator is a fruit leather sheet and drip tray, perfect for fruit roll-ups.
1. Digital drying temperature control:
• The adjustable settings range from 95°F- 158°F (35°C – 70°C). The back-mounted fan provides silent, consistent, airflow and heat circulation, for thorough drying without shelf rotation or overheating. When the timer has completed, the machine will ring and shut off automatically.
1. Transparent Door:
• The front door is clear for easy at a glance monitoring of all 9 drying sheets.
1. ETL Certified:
• Gourmia takes the quality of its products very seriously. This food dehydrator is ETL certified also known in the United States as a Product Listing Mark is awarded to a product by a third-party assessment body to recognize that a product fully meets a set of performance criteria for a particular set of product characteristics.
• It is BPA free, so you can be confident that you’re receiving a safe, efficient, high-quality appliance.
1. Includes a Cookbook:
• Start creating all types of delicious creations with your food dehydrator! There is a cookbook & user manual provided in each box, to get you started in no time!
The dimensions are:
• Assembled Dimensions: 17.5 x 13.5 x 16 inches
• Item Weight: 14.5 lbs
• It offers high wattage for fast results: 120V/60Hz,600w
Some drawbacks to owning the GFD950 dehydrator are:
• There have been a couple complaints that the inside wall of the dehydrator bows outwards which makes it seem like the shelves have shrunk. This makes the trays sometimes fall if they are loaded up with too much fruit or vegetables.
• The front door can be hard to open and close as it can get stuck on the trays
• The temperature settings are 9 degrees apart. The setting goes from 113F to 122F. Anything above 118F is where enzymes are lost in the drying process. Dehydrating at 113F obviously takes more time than at 122F but if this is the worst drawback of the dehydrator, you can tell that there really aren’t many issues.
Overall, this a very popular and high-end food dehydrator. It is larger than some others we have reviewed but if you have the kitchen counter space, this one is highly recommended because of how much food it can dry at a time. Happy dehydrating!!