Top 10 Best Tasting Freeze Dried Food for Camping and Hiking
Freeze-dried food is very common with campers and hikers, the hardcore ones at least. There are multiple ways to make freeze dried food, the most common being the three step process:
- Freezing the food
- Place the food in a vacuum chamber under low heat so that the frozen water particles can evaporate from ice to water vapor
- The food is dried again where the remaining water molecules are removed under a slightly higher heat
Freeze-dried food and dehydrating food is very similar but not quite the same. Dehydration removes approximately 90-95 percent of the moisture content while freeze drying removes about 98-99 percent.
Benefits of Freeze Dried Food
There are many benefits to taking these emergency freeze dried food essentials hiking and camping, including not worrying about the food going bad and having a very long shelf life along with there being a lot less food waste. Freeze drying is remarkable because it causes no damage to the nutrition of the food being preserved. It typically retains 97% of the nutritional value. Other methods of preservation, such as canning and dehydrating, use higher temperatures that destroys much of the food value.
Top 10 Freeze Dried Meals
Biscuits and Gravy
- Who doesn’t like biscuits and gravy for breakfast? This hearty and carb full fast meal will give you the fuel you need to tackle a full day of hiking. This freeze-dried food is made with real buttermilk biscuits, pork sausage patties and gravy. It’s very easy to make, all that is needed is to open the package and add boiling water.
- This is a filling breakfast that includes hash browns, pork savory sausage, eggs, green and red bell peppers along with fresh onions all in one pouch. This is a great breakfast for when you are in a rush and don’t have a lot of time to make breakfast. It is bursting with protein and available in four sizes with preparation instructions clearly labeled on each package.
Chicken Teriyaki Rice
- This freeze-dried meal locks in all important nutrients along with having a delicious homemade taste. There is 15% of your daily intake of iron and 20 grams of protein per serving. It contains high quality ingredients including 100% real meat to ensure an appetizing and nutritious meal while on the hiking trail or at your favorite camping spot.
Beef Pasta Marinara
- The beef pasta marinara freeze dried meal tastes just as good as it sounds. It comes in a two person serving pouch or in a six pack. Whether camping, hiking, hunting or biking, this freeze dried meal will keep you full and at your best. Each package does contain milk and wheat.
Lasagna with meat sauce
- If you are looking for a different type of camping meal, but something quick try the freeze-dried lasagna with meat sauce. It has a blend of Parmesan, Romano and Mozzarella cheese. This is a cheesy meal in rich tomato meat sauce which has a thirty year taste guarantee.
- Pad Thai is not an easy meal to make while hiking or camping but now you don’t have to. These pre-made meals are high in protein, vegetarian & gluten free. The rice noodles have a spicy, sweet, garlic sauce, textured soy protein, vegetables and roasted peanuts for added texture. This freeze-dried food contains peanuts.
- Edamame beans are a great snack compared to chips and dip, or candy. They are naturally high in protein and fiber, gluten-free. They contain containing an optimal balance of complete plant-based protein, carbohydrates, fiber, mono-unsaturated fats, and powerful anti-oxidants. It is the perfect snack when on the trail! It also re hydrates when added to soups and stir frys.
- Apricots are great for everyone as an additional source of vitamins, especially in winter time when the selection of fresh fruits are limited. Health benefits of these dried fruits can not be underestimated. In particular, they are very good for the cardiovascular system, due to a high content of potassium salts. They contribute to the regulation of blood pressure and increase hemoglobin levels. It is recommended to consume dried apricots if you have anemia and during pregnancy, when hemoglobin amount decreases naturally. For more information on dried apricots, click here!
- Freeze-dried fruit is a great snack when out in the wilderness. It is sun ripened and are the perfect mix of sweet and tart. There are only 40 calories per serving, and are non GMO, have no trans-fats, chemicals or preservatives. Freeze-dried fruit is high in fiber, antioxidants, omega fats, and loaded with protein.
- Chickpeas are a great snack because that have that potato chip crunch but are very healthy. They are high in protein and fiber with less fat than dry roasted nuts. These chickpeas have 0 grams of fat 6 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein. They are a great snack for when you are on the move.